Senior Companion volunteer Eligibility
The Senior Companion Program functions in a supportive role providing close, personal relationships and assistance to isolated adult persons having physical and/or mental disabilities and little contact with community living. Each Senior Companion serves at least three isolated, aged, and disabled older persons in their homes. The services involve some physical and emotional stress.
Eligibility & Criteria:
To be Senior Companion Volunteer:
- The person must be 55 years of age and older
- Meet Income guidelines as establish by Corporation for National service
- Able to serve 15 to 40 hours per week
- Willing to meet the requirement of a yearly physical examination
- Willing to participate in a 40 hours orientation
- Willing to participate on 4 hours monthly in-service training
- Willing to follow Agency, Program & Service policies
- Willing to take supervision from the Volunteer Station & Program Supervisor
Senior Companion responsibilities in their supportive roles include:
- Assist in identification of client problem and help in solution of problem.
- Provide Client Information, and referral on community services.
- Assist Client in feeding, dressing, grooming, getting in & out of bed.
- Assist & encourage client in exercise, taking walks w/client
- Provide companionship, conversing & listening, cheering up, playing cards
- Light housekeeping tasks (sweeping, mopping, doing dishes, making beds, etc.)
- Assist in reading, writing letters or filling out forms.
- Assist in meal planning & preparation, light groceries shopping, errands.
- Encouraging client contact with family & friends
- Assist with medical appointments, & assist in monitoring medication